THE OFFICIAL RULES AND REGULATIONS OF LOS BASTARDOS:
Hi! I take it that you are interested in becoming a Bastard. Although we do this show for the sheer fun and love of Rocky Horror, there are rules that we adhere to in order to continue putting on a successful show. Even though no one gets paid, THIS IS STILL A PROFESSIONAL SHOW!!!! You MUST maintain your professionalism, maturity, and respect at all shows, rehearsals, and cast functions.
Be advised that you are responsible for reading, knowing, and obeying ALL of the rules. “I didn’t know!” is NEVER a valid excuse for breaking a rule. They are all here, and you will be held accountable for your actions.
For the past 30 years, The Rocky Horror Picture Show has brought delight, weirdness, and excitement to multitudes of people. Every year it gains more followers due to the fact that it is so much fun. Part of the reason it is fun is because it is successful, and Los Bastardos and many other casts throw their all into Rocky to keep it that way. We work hard, we maintain our dignity, and most importantly, we have respect. If you think that you can handle being a mature, hardworking asset to Los Bastardos, then please read on. If you thought this show was all play and no work, then I am sorry, we cannot accommodate you.
Thank you for your interest in our cast.
THE OFFICIAL RULES AND REGULATIONS OF LOS BASTARDOS
NEW POTENTIAL CAST MEMBERS
What you need to consider before you waste your time and our time:
- You will be held accountable for reading, understanding, knowing, and abiding by all of the cast rules. “I didn’t know.” is by no means a valid excuse and you will be dealt with accordingly.
- You must be at least 18 years old to join and perform with Los Bastardos.
- You must have reliable transportation. Reliable transportation does not include “getting rides” from someone already on cast or someone anticipating trying to join cast. Do not even ask.
- You must have a reliable internet source. We communicate via online forums and I require you check the cast board at least once a day in order to maintain current information.
- You will be required to pay cast dues every month, as we do not get paid for the show. If Transie, you are required to invest in appropriate attire and make-up.
- You must return the signed agreement to rules form back at the end of your first rehearsal.
- If you live with parents, grandparents, etc., there may not be any interference. As in, getting “grounded” from Rocky or having to clean your room is not an acceptable excuse for not attending.
- You may not have any legitimate medical conditions which would prevent you from performing safely. Alternatively, pretending you are sick all the time or making up ailments is unacceptable.
- You will join as either Transie or Tech. Immediate Core positions are not available, regardless of experience. After I am satisfied with your performance on Transie or Tech, you may be asked to understudy another part. This in no way means that you will immediately get to play the part.
- You must be willing to work on your part outside of rehearsals and show times, to help advertise, and commit to other cast functions.
- Attend all rehearsals, meetings, gatherings and shows unless I specifically approve you not to attend. Do not rely on permission from other members of cast for any reason, even if they told you “I” said it was ok.
- You will not get rewarded and patted on the head for everything you do that is basically acceptable or correct. Likewise, you will not be coddled. Just like in real life, cast and / or I will not reward you for basic competence or for doing your job (just like everyone else). Everyone is expected to do their best every week, and not just for attention.
- If you have a specific strength, you will be utilized for this strength for cast purposes. This is probably one of the reasons you were voted onto cast. Do not complain if you are asked or volun-told to do something if I know you have time and the ability to do so.
- Your audition will be to spend a probationary period of one to three months with the cast. At any point during your trial I may bring you up in front of the cast to test what you have learned or ask questions. Acceptance or rejection will be based upon how well you are picking up the part, how well you get along with the cast, and whether or not we feel you would be an asset to our cast. During your trial, you are required to attend all cast rehearsals, meetings, events, and shows. You need to wear whatever is appropriate for whatever activity we is scheduled. Please note that if it is a rehearsal, you need to dress to be outside, just in case. If you are learning Transie and are officially approved by your Transie Nazis and myself, you will be required from that point on to wear official LB Transie dress at shows. At the end of the trial, you will attend the cast meeting and then leave. The current cast (no other non-cast) will discuss your actions, attitude, and other factors, and vote to determine if we either A) Find you an asset and vote you on with minor exceptions, B) Put you on an additional trial or probationary period to work on more items while some cast makes their final decision, or C) Vote no for various reasons. I will advise you the next day via email as to the result and all of the concerns that were brought up as to what you need to work on or what we found pleasing. I use email because then you will always have a reference to hold on to for things to work on, if necessary. Please note that not everyone makes it on the first time, and almost no one escapes without something to work on. If you are fortunate enough to make cast, review the Bio sheet in your LB Handbook. Type up the responses and post them on the cast board. In the same thread, post three pictures of yourself in costume or at Rocky. Tag me so I know to send the the Media team to add you to the current roster.
- Please be wise and make the most of your time spent with cast to learn about Rocky Horror history and heritage, what our show is about, and what exactly it takes to make Los Bastardos run. There is a long-standing legacy and years of tradition behind this cast that makes it special. LB is known as one of the greatest casts in the entire country, and we have a reputation to uphold and respect. Be assured, I will hold you to these standards and expect nothing but your best, every time you are on cast time.
- Know that although being on cast is a lot of work, it is not always work. Take this time to mingle, make friends, and see the show from a different angle. Hopefully you will find a home away from home, as I did. Thank you for taking the time to think about joining us, and good luck.
- ATTENDANCE. Los Bastardos requires every Friday and Saturday night from approximately 8:00 p.m. until whenever you are released. This can be anywhere from 11:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m.. This also means show up on location at the correct time, which is neither early nor late. If you are going to miss a show or rehearsal, I need to know at least one month ahead of time so that I can make arrangements. If you are ill or have other extenuating circumstances and must call out the day of the show, the cut off time is at 5:00 p.m. the day of the show. If I do not respond to your advisement, you must make additional efforts to get a hold of me and confirm I received the message. Two times of flaking out or failing to adhere to this policy and you will be suspended.
- PUNCTUALITY. PLEASE BE ON TIME! If you are going to be late, message me (ahead of time if at all possible). Cast calls will be listed on the cast board for each event. Cast is required onsite at the venue ready to perform in full costume and make-up by no later than 10:30 p.m. on Saturdays.
- CONTRIBUTION & VOLUNTEERING. If you have a relevant opinion about something, speak up. I want to hear new thoughts and ideas for the show, or things you think might be good for fundraising and etc. Volunteer to do things, such as taking fliers to new locations, or helping make prop packs even if you aren’t asked to. It is all part of being on cast. The cast and Rocky in general will always continue to grow and evolve, so please be aware that if there is a new way to do something that might work, we might try it. Please try to be positive and constructive rather than complain that things shouldn’t change.
- COMMITTING TO A TASK & UNPRODUCTIVITY. If you volunteer to do something, please follow through with it. If you aren’t willing to do the job (and do it right) do not bother. I do not like lame excuses for not finishing something you said that you would. Committing to the task also includes doing your assigned jobs during Pre-Show and Post-Show. I should NEVER see anyone doing NOTHING during Pre-Show and Post-Show. I expect nothing less than 100% from you on cast time and concerning cast activities. If you have questions on how to help, ask.
- POLITICS. Despite what you may have heard, I am not mean or vindictive, nor do I care about playing favorites. I lay down rules, administer punishment as appropriate, make decisions in the best interest of the cast based on reasoning (rather than someone whining or others’ opinions), and have the final say on everything. I am straightforward with cast matters and if standards are not met I will say it. This is not me being cruel or jumping on you, this is me being honest about my thoughts and observances in that I feel you need improvement and know you can accomplish the task if you set your mind to it. If you cannot deal with reality, if you cannot take direction, or if you do not like hearing what you do not want to hear, this is not the cast for you. If you feel that my decision is unfair we can discuss it privately as I am open to suggestion, but I will not tolerate insolence, laziness, insincerity, or entitlement. Please do not feel inhibited to talk to me, as I will do anything in my power to help you and Los Bastardos succeed.
- RESPECT. This cast serves as a family to many and we treat it as such. Even though disagreements are inevitable, please be cordial and have respect for one another and for differing opinions while on cast time. Please do not talk down to one another or act disrespectfully towards one another. If you have a serious issue with someone/something, please talk to me. I expect respect from you, as I will give you the same in return.
- DRAMA. Drama: fighting with other cast members or audience members, breaking rules just to cause problems (respect, drugs, etc.), doing things to intentionally piss other people off, gossiping, stabbing other cast members in the back, trying to steal other cast members boyfriends/girlfriends, being a cast or audience whore, getting involved in other peoples’ business, not doing your job, mocking or slandering other cast members, trolling, purposefully creating additional chats to talk shit about others, talking about cast business with non-cast, and countless other things I could list. Bottom line: do not start it. There is enough drama that goes on at Rocky outside of cast. Do not start it, do not participate in it.
- PERSONAL SPACE. I know that Rocky is a place that is sexual in nature. This does not mean you have the right to feel up and rub all over other people. “Other people” includes audience members AND cast. Not all people are comfortable with other people touching them, and being around them all the time. Just because someone is at Rocky does not mean that they want someone to touch them (granted, I know there are exceptions). But, if someone tells you to stop, STOP! If it is obvious that you are making them uncomfortable, back up. If you are violating their personal space, discontinue doing so. People often will not tell you that, but on this cast you need to learn when people are alright with something and when they are not.
- ATTITUDE. Do not whine, complain to others, or act like an ass if you do not get your way. It is unprofessional and also extremely irritating. If you have a legitimate problem please let me know and we will discuss it privately.
- HYGIENE. Yes, I have to go here. Common sense of decency: please bathe with soap, wash and comb your hair, put on deodorant, brush your teeth, and wear clean clothes to rehearsals, events, and the show.
- BE WHERE I CAN FIND YOU. I need an updated cell phone number and email address for you at all times. Respond promptly if I ask a question and do not wander off once you are at the theatre.
- ALCOHOL & DRUGS. DO NOT show up under the influence of anything. You will reflect badly upon this cast and our theatre, and I will NOT tolerate this. If I find you are under the influence of anything and it is affecting your performance, then you will be suspended.
- COSTUMES & MAKEUP. You must have your own costume and makeup before you perform. This includes all full costumes, makeup, accessories, and shoes. You will not be allowed on stage if your costume is not fit for professional performance.
- FLOORWALKERS & SCREAMERS. The only persons allowed to floorwalk (pre-show or regular show) are Floorwalkers. Do not under any circumstances insult the audience’s screamers, as they have paid to see our show and have fun, not to be insulted.
- TECH. If a Tech asks for assistance, please assist immediately. They will not ask unless they need it.
- TAKING LIBERTIES WITH YOUR CHARACTER. Before you even consider trying to do something different with your character, you should know it well enough to do it in your sleep. Clear everything with me before you are on stage.
- AWAY SHOWS. Rules listed here plus any others I might have apply to away shows. Above all, be on your BEST behavior, and be on time.
- CAST ONLY MEANS CAST ONLY. Only cast is allowed at rehearsals, cast meetings, and cast functions. Do not bring your friends or significant others, as they are in no way obligated to follow cast rules yet they appear to represent us. Also, do not try to act like hot shit and shirk your cast duties to impress girls/boys that you have an interest in while on cast time or hanging out with cast. It pisses the rest of the cast off and I will not put up with attitude or laziness.
- SEX. Sex is not allowed on cast time or on the venue’s property at any time for any reason. This includes rehearsals, show times, events, or any other designated cast time. Any offense will result in termination.
- ONLINE FORUMS. We have several online forums for advertisement and communication purposes. Join the public and cast boards and please utilize them responsibly and civilly. Make sure you have access to, can post in, and have notifications turned on for the designated cast board. If you do not yet have access, let me know. It is crucial that you join and pay attention to this board as it is where we post information. You are expected to read the cast board updates and check the board at minimum once a day as well as check the board prior to any rehearsals or shows to review for changes. If you do not have personal internet access, be resourceful. I will not tolerate lack of preparedness. If you have questions or things to discuss you may also post them in the appropriate thread. Add your current and complete information into the Roster document located in the Files section of the cast board. Save necessary numbers in your phone. You will have access to everyone’s information but do not under any circumstances give this information out without the person’s prior permission. Do not invite anyone to the cast board under any circumstances.
- GUESTS. Your guests may attend provided they are of age, have appropriate ID, and pay to get in.
- PRE-SHOW. Do not interrupt Pre-Show unless pre-arranged. It takes long enough as it is.
- CAST DUES. You must pay cast dues while on cast. They are $10 per month and due at the beginning of each month. If you are delinquent 2 months or more, you will be suspended until dues are paid in full up through the end of that month.
- CHALLENGING ME WITH INTENT TO ARGUE. Do not do it. Do not try to start problems just because you can. Do not spit out a comeback or nasty comments for everything I say. Do not argue about something just for the sake of arguing about it.
- CAST MEETINGS. Cast meetings are after each show and at some rehearsals. All cast must attend, participate, and pay attention during cast meetings. In the meeting, we discuss business and all other things which are important to our cast. This is not the time to pick fights, whine about wanting to go home, how bored you are, how your ride is going to leave, how you have to get up early tomorrow, etc. as it will simply irritate the rest of us and make meetings even longer. If you want to leave, go ahead. I will be happy to replace you with someone who deserves to be here. I do understand there may be special circumstances where you may have to leave early one day. Please let me know in advance – not right before the meeting. Due to consistent abuse of the allowance of cell phones during meeting, they will no longer be allowed during cast meeting.
- INSULTING THE AUDIENCE. Ignorant, self-serving, childish, or careless behavior towards the audience at minimum reflects exceptionally poor taste on our behalf in a business sense, turns our fans away, or leads to ejection from the theatre. If I find you culpable the penalty is immediate suspension. Alternatively, if audience is rude to you or about our show, please let it go as you must recognize all persons see Rocky differently and there is no need to argue (and therefore potentially lose audience or receive bad reviews) over differing tastes. Apologize for any offense and if issue arises, seek director assistance.
- NON-ROCKY PATRONS. The theatre will have non-Rocky clientele as well. As with our Rocky audience, respect and courtesy is due to all patrons. It is critical to remember they are the theatre’s customers also and our job as a professional organization is to get the masses to the venue and keep them coming back. If we act unsuitably and run people off it not only lessens the theatre’s profits, at times turns non-Rocky patrons into Rocky-hating people, and makes us look amateur. Unacceptable conduct is grounds for immediate ejection, suspension, or dismissal and includes but is not limited to the following: Inappropriate language, distasteful or attention-seeking behavior, unsuitable personal contact, lack of rational modesty, “scaring”, unnerving, irritating, goading, or otherwise insulting them because they do not like or understand Rocky (by the way, this is exceptionally hypocritical). On the other hand, if patrons are rude to you or about our show, please let it go as you must recognize all persons see Rocky differently and there is no need to argue (and therefore potentially lose audience or receive bad reviews) over differing tastes. Apologize for any offense and if issue arises, seek director assistance.
- LOBBY BEHAVIOR. It is essential for all cast to advocate responsible standards of behavior not only in the lobby but outside the venue as well. Never change in or leave your personal belongings in the lobby. At each venue we are charged with the challenging task of keeping the audience quiet and entertained without disturbing the other patrons while maintaining orderly lines and keeping pathways and doorways clear for all traffic including patrons, cast, police, and theatre staff. If you must ask a patron to adhere to these rules, please be polite and respectful. Honor any and all theatre and police requests.
- CAST DISAGREEMENTS. If you have differing opinions or issues to discuss with another cast member, it does not need to occur in front of the audience or the theatre staff. Calm down, act like an adult, and take it elsewhere.
- CAST BUSINESS. Under no circumstances are you allowed or approved to discuss cast business or repeat cast discussions with individuals who are not on cast / no longer on cast. This includes but is in no way limited to friends, boyfriends/girlfriends, roommates, family, audience, and online buddies. Mediums include but are in no way limited to face to face, text, computer based communication, or my personal favorite, joint-effort behind the back bitch sessions or chat groups. All this accomplishes is showing your unprofessionalism.
- ADVERTISING, MEDIA AND PROMOTIONS. All cast is required to participate in promotions a minimum of three times weekly in an effort to advance the cast and the show. All social media outlet involvement is welcomed and encouraged. Flyering trips and on location activities will be required and carry the weight of a standard show or rehearsal. If you have any questions, suggestions, or want to assist please say so. We have a full media team and assistance is valued. Failure to promote will result in your replacement as I will assume you do not understand the levity and importance of growth.
- RELEASE OF PERSONAL IMAGE(ES) AND CREATIVE CONTENT. In addition to signature of the separate form, you understand that your image, likeness, voice, as well as any intellectual content or physical materials you may have manufactured or assisted in manufacturing while on this cast for the benefit of the shows or the cast (i.e. costumes, props, tech equipment, pre-show entertainment, et cetera) are not your property but the property of Los Bastatdos and will be utilized with or without your permission and with or without your notification for any possible number of promotional, entertainment, or training purposes.
- LEAVING CAST. If you leave / wish to go on hiatus for whatever reason, please let me know ahead of time. Please also return all cast items and costumes to me prior to your departure. If you leave cast and owe cast dues, prior to your return you will be required to pay all back dues. Also, a return to cast will be based upon my sole discretion and will be decided upon based on a number of factors.
OTHER RULES. Just because it is not officially a rule does not mean that you will not get punished if you do something stupid. Please use your discretion and be professional. Think before you do things, and it should not be a problem.
PUNISHMENTS. Punishment will be determinable by the severity of the action(s). If you break a rule, you will be dealt with accordingly.